Easy Structured Summer Routine for Kids





The Summer Slide:
verb.
a decline in reading ability and other academic skills that can occur over the summer months when school isn't in session


To work to prevent summer slide but also keep boredom at bay and keep my sanity with two kids and 8 weeks of free time, I drafted a easy going summer schedule for us. Nothing to rigid or hard to maintain because again, I want to also maintain my sanity. 

Sunday - We will spend some time outdoors. Beach days, park trips, outdoor walks, picnics, amusement parks, etc. 

Monday - Since my oldest will be in camp, we'll dedicate some time afterwards to engaging in a math activity. Budgeting activities, financial literacy, board games, worksheets, etc. Here is a math activity I have already planned out that we can use a few times (because we want to work smarter, not harder.)

Tuesday - This will probably be my favorite day. Or at least tied for favorite with sleep in Saturday. We will perform random acts of kindness for anyone we can think of. I want this to be kid led so she can think of good deeds to perform and feel amazing and empowered because she thought of it herself. 

Wednesday -  We will write letters and put them in good old fashioned snail mail. We can also learn to send emails to relatives. My oldest has also been pretty into making up stories so she can write them down and draw illustrations to go with it. Journaling about her day is another great way we can get some writing in. 

Thursday - Thursday is storytime day at our library. I'm planning to take my youngest to storytime and pick out a book for her sister to read later on. Here are some worksheets I will also be using to keep those comprehension skills in tact.

Friday - This will most likely be the kid's favorite day of the week. I will allow them to pick the activity of the day. I'm pretty sure it will involve the movies or some other form of watching tv but that's fine with me too. 

Saturday - And we made it to sleep in Saturday! The loungiest, comfiest day of the week. But listen, I have a 1 year old so "sleeping in" is more like being awake but hanging out in bed. Which is still amazing!

All of these things will take about 30 minutes to an hour in length, so they are very doable. I had to make our schedule very lax and easy to do or else I know it would end up not happening. 

Here is our more detailed schedule:

What are some things you guys have planned for the summer and to prevent summer slide?

Comments

Popular Posts

Follow