The Hippie Mom Essentials 2019




1. Raw Shea Butter
Shea butter is great for moms (or just women in general) because it's great for stretch marks and is gentle enough for baby skin. It helps repair cracked skin, chapped lips, and it also soothes sore muscles! It can also be used as a moisturizer for hair. I use it every single day for hair and skin care. I believe shea butter has helped with my hair growth journey tremendously. It is a sealant that helps seal in moisture which is important for maintaining length.  I use this shea butter in my DIY whipped shea butter recipe that we use on our hair and after showers as our lotion. It keeps both our hair and skin super soft, moisturized, and healthy! 

Whipped Shea Butter Ingredients:
Raw African Shea Butter 16 oz.
Organic Olive Oil
Organic Coconut Oil
Rosehip Oil
Avocado Oil
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Lavender Oil

2. Soma Water Filter
It's really hard to trust anything these days. Even the water! There are so many miscellaneous things found in our water now that it would be silly to not have a water filter. We're not perfect at all and do not claim to be so there are times we do use plastic water bottles but this water filter has helped us cut down our plastic usage. I'm usually skeptical of whether water filters really work but I had a pottery barn gift card and decided to give this filter a try. When I tell you the water tastes amazing, it really really does. I especially love the design of this filter with the wooden handle and white and clear design. 


3. Rose Water
This is probably my most favorite essential on the list! Research shows that Cleopatra used rose water in her beauty regimen. Ok if Cleopatra, a literal black queen, used it, I want to use it. I spray rose water on myself like 10 times per day in the summer Rose water is super beneficial to the skin. It helps skin retain it's pH balance, it's anti-inflammatory, it's anti-bacterial, it's a mood enhancer, keeps away fine lines and wrinkles, and so much more. It is also great for the hair as it's a natural conditioner, helps with dandruff, and yes, helps with hair growth which I'm obsessed with. I sometimes use this Mario Badescu one on my face as a facial toner after cleansing or spray if all over our bodies including our hair for added benefits. I go through these bottles pretty fast.  I spray it on my face and skin to soothe the skin, soak in those benefits, feel rejuvenated, and smell like a rose! I love the Rose Water Toner - 100% Organic Natural Moroccan Rosewater (Chemical Free) - 4 oz from Amazon. I also really love the "PURE Rose" Drinkable Bulgarian Rose Water from Royal Sense. 

4. Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Castor Oil is a curly girl essential for sure! If you have curly hair, go get some castor oil. JBCO is rich in omega-9 fatty acids which help prevent your hair from drying out. It also has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It's most notable benefit is it helps with hair loss and seriously promotes hair growth. I do scalp massages and hot oil treatments on our hair using JBCO. It can help with detangling hair as well as approving the appearance of split ends. I also rub it on my eyebrows and eyelashes.  Tropic Isle Living- Jamaican Black Castor Oil-8oz Plastic PET Bottle can be found on Amazon. It works. 

5. Rosehip Oil
Rosehip Oil may actually tie with RoseWater as my favorite essential. I give this product ALL the credit for clearing up dark marks and hyperpigmentation on my skin. Seriously, this stuff is like magic. Everyone's skin is different but it only took a few weeks for me to start seeing results. I just put a drop or two of the oil on the dark area and pat it into the skin with the pads of my fingers. I also put a drop on my hand and mix it with my daily moisturizer in the morning and rub it into my face that way. When a pimple or blackhead goes away on my face, a dark mark tends to linger for quite some time no matter if I picked at it or left it alone and the rosehip oil seriously helps with that. I also use it on my daughters scratches or anything that leaves a dark mark behind. It works even quicker on her super young skin. I love the Teddie Organics Rosehip Seed Essential Oil, 1 fl. oz.from Amazon. A great thing about oils is they last for a good six months or more since you're only using a few drops per day. 

6. Hemp Seeds
I love hemp seeds because they're small and discreet and I can easily sneak them into our food without anyone noticing. They're high in omega 3 and omega 6 which makes them a perfect addition to our mostly plant based diet.  They're also a great plant based protein source. They're said to aid in digestion, skin health, and reduce the risk of heart disease. I like to add them to our smoothies and salads. They're great because a 12 oz bag lasts a really long time so you get your money's worth. 

7. Air Purifying plants
It's essential to purify the air in your home because of all the hidden impurities that household products give off. According to NASA, indoor air is more polluted than outdoor air. NASA conducted a study that demonstrated the ability of particular plants to purify the air. Some of the best air purifying plants are English Ivy, Pothos, Fern, Dracaena, Bamboo Palm, Peace Lily, Spider Plant and Snake Plant. These plants, among others, remove benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene, and ammonia from the air.   In our home, we have a Peace Lily (named Lily), a Dracaena (named Draco Malfoy), a Snake Plant (named Snake), a Pothos Plant (named Lovie), and a Spider Plant (named Einstein). Yes, we named our plants. I honestly feel like naming and talking to your plants helps them grow! In my experience the easiest plants to care for are the Peace Lily, the Snake Plant, and the Spider Plant. The Peace Lily tells you when it wants to be water by dropping it's leaves. When it's watered, the leaves go back up! The Snake Plant is old faithful and can withstand long periods without water. I've seriously forgotten about watering it for weeks at a time, and it's perfectly fine! The Spider Plant can also withstand low light and periods without water. If you have pets or small children, keep these plants high up and out of reach. A lot of these plants are poisonous when ingested.

8. Aerosol Spray Water Bottle
This spray bottle is perfect for natural hair. We use this every single day. I never brush our hair dry so when doing any of our naturally curly hair, I mist it with this spray bottle first, apply a light amount of product, and then brush and style. The water sprays out of this bottle for a longer amount of time than a traditional water bottle and it comes out in a light mist and opposed to a heavy spray. We don't want to soak our hair everyday but just dampen it so this is perfect. I also use it to mist our plants from time to time. 

9. Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap
Dr. Bronner is my homie (we needs shirts that say this). I love love love this soap. If you have extra time on your hands, read the bottle. It's like a novel but it gives you a lot of information about the product. What I like most about this product is that it is primarily made up of  organic oils, it comes in a ton of different scents, and it lasts foreverr. It's organic and fair trade so it's environmentally friendly. I also love how easily it lathers! It's super concentrated so you should dilute it with water when using it as a bath soap or shampoo. We use it as a shampoo, hand soap, body wash, and dish soap. I love the rose scent! I also love this Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castile Liquid Soap - Peppermint 32oz because when using it as a shampoo it makes your scalp tingly, and I like that. 

10. ThredUp
Last but not least, Thred Up. I just found Thred Up and I'm kind of obsessed. I've ordered 4 times already. ThredUP is the world's largest online thrift store where you can buy and sell high-quality secondhand clothes. You can get clothes for up to 90% off the retail value. I've gotten onesies for $3.99! I've also gotten clothes that are brand new with the tags still on for more than half of the retail value. I placed an order of easily over 15 items including brand names like Nike and North Face and paid around $120. That's it! And everything came in excellent condition. Most of the items, I couldn't even tell were used. I also love how sustainable it is and keeps clothes out of landfills. It makes me feel so much better about shopping knowing that I'm not contributing to the fast fashion epidemic. Since kids grow out of things so quickly, it's nice to know I can grab some high quality, inexpensive, cute clothes and shoes for them and not spend too much. I can keep going about how much I love ThredUp but I'll stop here.


Those are my hippie mom essentials for 2019! What essentials do you guys keep in your homes??

Comments

Popular Posts

Follow